Carbon Monoxide: One Invisible and Ruthless Enemy

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible threat to your family. It’s colorless, tasteless, and odorless, making it difficult to identify where it’s coming from. You only realize that there’s carbon monoxide present in the air the moment it takes a toll on your body.

carbon monoxideCarbon monoxide is a common hazard that is derived from the incomplete and inappropriate burning of natural gas or things that contain high amounts of carbon, such as oil, propane, and gasoline. Elite Home Security said that it usually accumulates in damaged furnaces and broken chimneys. Gas stove and other burned charcoals are also known sources.

How It Damages Your Body

Carbon monoxide is much more dangerous when inhaled. It affects the oxygenated blood by displacing the oxygen. When this happens, vital organs, such as the heart and brain will be deprived of oxygen. The gas also manages to damage the tissues. When not prevented or treated, the poisoning may lead to death.

Symptoms

Symptoms of CO poisoning resemble those of common disorders, such as flu, food poisoning, and viral infections. As the symptoms are often common in nature, people mistake carbon monoxide for something else. Apart from tightening chest, people poisoned with this gas may experience dizziness, drowsiness, and unexplained fatigue.

Keep in mind that the symptoms vary from one person to another. People who are at risk include kids, elderly people, and smokers. The moment you see these symptoms and you suspect that it’s CO poisoning, open the doors and windows immediately. Turn off the appliances that have gas, then go to the hospital for a checkup.

Fresh air is the first aid remedy. As oxygen gets displaced in the blood, the affected should breathe pure oxygen. To prevent such incidents, install a smoke detector. Be careful with gas appliances. For the long-term, improve the ventilation system of your home.